Our top 5 recipes for homemade dog food
The #1 reason is simply this: control. You have full control over every single ingredient with no surprises. Dog’s with allergies, sensitives, or intolerance can live a happy life and you can live worry free.
The second reason is money savings! When it comes to healthy dog food the top brands are quite expensive, but you can simply use the same ingredients at home and save an absolute ton.
Homemade dog food recipe #1 Meatloaf
- 1 lbs. lean ground beef
- 1 ½ cups grated mixed vegetables (use your dog’s favorite veggies – Amy used broccoli, carrots and apple)
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup cottage cheese
- 1 ½ cups rolled oats
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Hand-mix all ingredients in a bowl until combined thoroughly. Press evenly into a loaf pan.
- Bake for 40 minutes.
- Refrigerate or freeze in slices for easy serving.
Homemade dog food recipe #2 Tasty Brown rice
- 1 1/2 cups brown rice
- 2 carrots, shredded
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 zucchini, shredded
- 3 pounds ground turkey
- 1/2 cup peas, canned or frozen
- 3 cups baby spinach, chopped
- In a large saucepan of 3 cups water, cook rice according to package instructions; set aside.
- Heat olive oil in a large stockpot or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add ground turkey and cook until browned, about 3-5 minutes, making sure to crumble the turkey as it cooks.
- Stir in spinach, carrots, zucchini, peas and brown rice until the spinach has wilted and the mixture is heated through, about 3-5 minutes.Let cool completely.
Homemade dog food recipe #3 Beef & Veggie Crockpot
- 2 1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1 1/2 cups chopped butternut squash
- 1 1/2 cups brown rice
- 1 1/2 cups chopped carrots
- 1 (15-ounce) can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup peas, frozen or canned
- Stir in ground beef, brown rice, kidney beans, butternut squash, carrots, peas and 4 cups water into a 6-qt slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on low heat for 5-6 hours or high heat for 2-3 hours, stirring as needed.
- Let cool completely.
Homemade dog food recipe #4 Turkey & Vegetable Mash
- 2 pounds lean ground turkey
- 1 cup cauliflower florets
- 2 tablespoons raw turkey or chicken liver, finely diced or pureed
- 1/2 zucchini, sliced
- 2 medium carrots, coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup broccoli florets
- Add 1 1/2 cups water to a double boiler, place carrots in a steam basket over the pot and cover. Heat until boiling, reduce heat to a low boil and steam until carrots start to get tender, about 10 minutes. In the meantime, add the turkey and liver to a large skillet and cook on medium-high heat until done and there’s no more pink color. Drain off any fat and discard.
- Add broccoli, cauliflower, and zucchini, and continue steaming until all vegetables are tender, but not mushy, about 6-8 minutes. Allow vegetables to cool slightly then either chop in a food processor use a knife. The size of the vegetables will depend on the consistency preferred. We usually pulse about three times in the food processor and get the vegetables to a finely chopped consistency, similar to canned dog food.
- Add chopped vegetables to the turkey and liver, stir to combine. Add the olive oil and toss to combine with the turkey & veggie mixture. Allow to cool before dividing into freezer safe containers.
Homemade dog food recipe #5 Chili
- 4 Carrots
- 1 Can of tomato paste
- 2 Tbsp Butter
- Beef Broth (NO SALT)
- 1 lb Ground Beef
- Optional Can of Corn
- First you need to boil the macaroni. In a frying pan, cook the beef.
- Add butter, carrots, corn and tomato paste to your beef and cook for about 5 minutes.
- Then add your beef mixture to your casserole dish, add your beef broth.
- After that, put in oven at 350 degrees and cook for half an hour.
Whether you’re a new pet parent of a rambunctious puppy paving the way for a healthy future or have a senior dog with special needs, these recipes are nutritious, wholesome and dogs love them. There’s no better way to ensure that your dog is getting exactly what he/she needs in their diet than making meals for your dog.
Are you interested in more homemade products for your pet, check out one of our other blogs
Disclaimer: The information contained on this page is for informational purposes only and is not meant to be a substitute for the advice provided by your own veterinarian. You should not use the information contained herein for diagnosing the health of a pet. Always consult your own veterinarian.
Mobile pet grooming Serangoon Gardens also available in: Holland Road, Holland Village, Draycott Park, Nassim Road, Nassim Hill, Bukit Timah Road, Dempsey Road, Farrer Road, Cluny Road, Tanglin Road, Orchard Road, Spottiswoode Park Road, Sunset Way, Ulu Pandan, Scotts Road, Claymore Hill, Ardmore Park, Caldecott Hill, Orange Grove, One Tree Hill, River Valley, East Coast Park, Marine Parade, Katong, Joo Chiat Road, Meyer Road, Mountbatten, Thomson Road, Serangoon Gardens, Sengkang, Punggol, Sentosa Cove, Jurong, Hillcrest, Hillview Avenue, Dunearn Road, Sixth Avenue, Patterson Road, Grange Road, Tiong Bahru, Pasir Ris, Tampines, Woodlands, Yishun, Ang Mo Kio, Everton Park, Leedon Park, Leedon Heights, Belmont Road, Cornwall Gardens, Balmoral Road, Novena, Newton.